With small items requiring extreme attention, necessitation of proper sorting through various cupboards and drawers, the packing of the kitchen is the most difficult and important measure that a person needs to take during the process of shifting homes. Thereby, to get everything sorted, synchronized and packed in proper order for the movers to feel easy when they begin moving your belongings, the following steps are extremely significant to be comprehended and followed with attention.
Proper Sorting, Selection and Simplification
Before initiating any procedure of packing or planning, you should sort out the materials that you will be taking and separate them from those that you will be leaving behind. It also needs to be seen that the items that you will be leaving behind are properly taken care of and proper attention should be given to the fact that certain entities that are not supposed to be taken are not packed mistakenly. The primary objective here should be thorough checking of each cupboard and drawer and select the items according to your requirements. The items that you will not be taking should be donated to shelters or food banks. You can even host a garage sale or simply give them to your relatives or friends provided they are reusable.
Preparation of an Essentials Box
Attention should be given to the fact that you will still be requiring certain items for your last few days at your old home. Therefore carefully select those items that you will need in the last couple of days at your old home and do not let them to be packed and transferred. Also, there are certain items that you will need at once when you reach your new home. These include dishes, food items, cleaner, soap, dishcloth, dishtowel, and other related stuff. These things should be found at hand when you reach your new residence and you should instruct or see to it that these items are unpacked and available when you arrive.
Collection of Packing Materials
The following things will be needed for packing of a family sized kitchen:
- For difficult to pack lightweight items like dish racks, backing tins, small appliances and plastic kitchenware, large boxes of the dimension of 18 × 18 × 24 are required. These will be necessitated by 4 to 6 numbers.
- For items that are comparatively heavier, for example, pots and pans, pantry items, drawer contents, silverware, and cookbooks, medium boxes are required with dimensions 18 × 18 × 16. They will be required by an amount of 8 – 10 numbers.
- Packing of fragile materials like glasses, plates, stemware and canisters, specialized boxes are required that address the requirements of these items. For this, heavy duty boxes having thick double-walls are required. The dimensions for these are 18 × 18 × 28 and these should be ordered in 5 numbers.
- For packing of fragile materials like small appliances and food items, a bundle of 4-5 lbs of unprinted news wrap is required.
- Bubble wrap is required by a roll of 36 ft or more since packing needs to be done in other rooms as well.
- Cell kits are significantly applicable for packing of stemware and glasses. Cell kits are required by 5-10 numbers with dimensions of 18 × 18.
- Other requirements are packing or sealing tapes, labels and markers.
Initial Packing Stage
At the beginning those items should be picked up that are not used frequently, which includes, wine glasses, crystals, vases, mixing bowls, cookbooks, containers, wall hangings and pictures.
Packing of Bottle
Alcohol bottles and cooking oil bottles of vinegar whose seals are not still opened, can be packed at the initial stages.
Look into Shelves and Drawers
This phase should begin with the messiest shelf, with all those extra items that are only occupying a space being removed at once from your packing list. For other items that may produce confusion, you should try to remember whether they were used in the last 6 months or so. If they were not used, then taking them will not be of any use either.
Packing of Dishes
Stemware and glasses materials should be packed with extra care, through implementing cell boxes together. Also, use this time for packing of plates and bowls.
Packing of Pans and Pots
All items including crockery and lids should be packed except at least one or two essential pots that can serve for most of your in-between purposes.
Packing of Pantry
The process should be to begin with spices and then go up to the items that are larger. Freezer items should be removed and open food packages should be taped close before moving.
Preparation of Appliances
Large appliances should be kept prepared at least 24 hours before initiating the shifting process.